Art of Hosting Ning site - Conversation between Rowan and Ria on Dec 1, ‘09
Rowan: In Preston - quite dark and rainy - getting to get used to the winter weather; lots of energy focused on the survival academy in Copenhagen. I had a renewed spark of energy for the AoH - talking with people in Denmark! Building on the experiment in Leeds. The potential for the online community... I created an empty sceleton with a design. What would be the best way to make it alive? It feels good that it is just the two of us sitting here - we seem to be the ones with the energy for it. Sitting with the question of what the AoH community needs and what we need as the stewards of this.
Ria: Wintery here in Brussels. I have been holding the aoh online community with E-nexus for some time and see that it has not worked quite as we have imagined. I see that the Ning is easier to engage with. We have used it for Women moving the edge - and I have been using it both as admin and user. I really feel the need for sharing threads like the academic discussion. I see from the Presencing community that it has an initial rush, and then quite down... But I see a clear need.
What is the purpose and content of current site and the Ning?
In relation to the purpose of the Ning next to the static website - good to have a good distinction. Ning can have a lot of stuff, but has its limitations! Post the more static stuff on the existing site; keep the Ning as easy as possible.
Content for the Ning right now:
- place for sharing resources: group? blog?
- Having the welcome and purpose of the site ready – Rowan: Intro or welcome: from material from other similar sites.
- content.... should be simple...
- look at the academic tread and look at how we can categorize that... - Ria
- Connect with Charlotte for the ‘look’ – Rowan
- A map showing individuals – Rowan
- Easier to share media: video and resources! - Links with the current videos should be there!
- Harvests from AoH trainings, harvest teams should know the site
- Show good harvest documents - How to make good harvest documents.... there seems to be a need for people to learn and see how this can be done
- Twitter and FB - Benjamin
- Online harvesting instructions?
- How to use the blog in the best way??? Use it as AoH news? or as harvest? Is TWC using the blog? (ask Amy?)
- Can we have direct payment and registration for events? (Like Berkana in the US?) – if someone wants to do this…
Need from the AoH community and our needs
Need that I see is for regional groups. Adding the visibility of both the individuals and the map! also a keep where you can set up the regional groups. Or linking with some who have already a Ning themselves... or transfer them into a group? a regional group? There isn't very much activity in these little Ning groups - UK and Germany? Also harvest from each training could be good!!!
What do we expect from the community?
Probably there won't be very much people who add content. A lot will just come to look around.
Where will the economy come from?
Rowan: Economy, I don't think it will be an issue, but there need to be some clarity. Most stewards I have talked to I agree on this - it would be brilliant to bring it to one of these stewards gatherings that will happen in 2010.
Related to economy: proposing a model to the next AoH trainings we see happening – and feeding it in to the next stewards gathering. Later make some more set guidelines.
Economy: there is 450 pounds from the last AoH training in the UK - can be used.
Rowan: In relation to others to invite in – from another experience: initial hosting team with 4 people, and invited 4 other people each, and so on. Would be a good way of populating the site - it worked really well! People got some more ownership by being invited. It could be a nice way of growing the network slowly. Good to have some meat on the bones.
Let us start what we have passion for and keep each other in the loop. We will start our conversation on the Ning itself.